Place Surian

This square bears the name of Jean-Baptiste Surian (1670-1754), a member of the Académie Française, and Bishop of Vence from 1728 to 1754.

The square was created in 1787 by the demolition of old houses around the former Town Hall, named ‘The House of the Holy Spirit’. On this building there is a lintel with the coat-of-arms of the town ‘D’Azur à la tour d’argent crénelée de cinq pièces maçonnées de sable’ (Blue with a silver tower with five crenellations, and stone of sand colour).

Return to the map of the historic town