The former residence within the walls of the lords of Vence, situated on the Place Clemenceau, is built on the site of the 13th-century episcopal ‘palace’.

Some parts are of a later date: in the interior courtyard are three mullion windows from the Renaissance period; on the façade, a shield shows the arms of the Villeneuve: ‘D’or avec six gueules pour six lances’ (gold with six animal’s mouths and six lances).

This coat-of-arms later evolved under Charles VII to become a fleur de lys and gold shield. In 1910 the Town Hall was built on the site of this former palace.

Recommended Posts
  • 10. Château “intra-muros”

    Située place Clemenceau, l’ancienne demeure intra-muros des Seigneurs de Villeneuve fut bâtie à l’emplacement du «palais» épiscopal du 13ème siècle dont quelques éléments sont plus tardifs : trois fenêtres à meneaux, époque Renaissance dans la cour intérieure. L’écusson, en façade, représente les armes des Villeneuve : «D’or avec six gueules pour six lances». Ces armes […]

Start typing and press Enter to search